5 Most Charming Ecovillages Around the World

Ecovillages take a step back from traditional urbanism. They prioritize community and sustainability, where everyone is welcome. These are five of the most impressive and charming examples of ecovillage communities across the globe.

Crystal Waters, Australia

Crystal Waters Ecovillage was one of the world's first permaculture villages when it opened in 1984. Residents occupy 20% of the land, while the remaining 80% is open for licensing for agricultural, forestry, leisure, and habitat projects. 

The village was built on the values of clean air, water, and soil, religious freedom, and meaningful social impact among its residents. Additionally, homes in Crystal Waters are packed together in smaller groupings to encourage a better feeling of community and connection while enjoying a rural lifestyle, and the Village Green serves as a venue for monthly markets and musical events.

The ecovillage is known for sitting on a wildlife sanctuary, and residents are often exposed to many species of wildlife, including endangered species. 

Findhorn Ecovillage, Scotland

Findhorn Ecovillage, founded in the 1980s in Moray, Scotland, is the largest ecovillage community in the UK and has played an important role in the ecovillage movement from its inception. Its founders were also active in the formation of the Global Ecovillage Network, a website, and blog filled with information on sustainability and ecovillage ideology.

Findhorn's environmental philosophy prioritizes sustainable building. Many buildings use passive solar elements and breathing walls, which interact with the exterior climate to benefit the residents. Efficient heating and insulation, water-saving technologies, and sustainable materials (like clay and recycled materials) are all required to construct at Findhorn.

Findhorn is situated in a stunning, vibrantly green forested area. Homes constructed at Findhorn are quaint, warm, and hobbit-like for those of you familiar with the Lord of the Rings franchise.

Eco Truly Park, Peru

Apart from being a haven for culturally diverse people, The School of Conscious Art, which comprises a gallery and a workshop, is also located in Eco Truly Park. Visitors are invited to their complex for vegetarian meals, tours, workshops, and yoga lessons. 

The government has designated the village as an important tourist attraction, with over 75,000 tourists having visited since its inception. For those who desire to stay even longer, Eco Truly Park offers a residential and volunteer program in which participants study organic agricultural practices, art, and take yoga and philosophy seminars that teach environmental values.

The scenery and construction of Eco Truly Park makes it a rare spectacle. The architecture combines modernism with ancient appeal. The grounds are adorned with protective statues and artwork that feature ancient myths and deities. The Eco Truly Park is an ecovillage like no other.

EcoVillage, Ithaca, United States

This particular village's residents strive to maintain a carbon footprint that is 70% lower than the typical American's. Their green buildings are designed with passive solar in mind for natural heating and cooling, and some even have photovoltaic panels for solar electricity. Furthermore, residences in the Tree Community adopt passive house design principles, and their homes are airtight, wasting no heating/cooling energy.

This ecovillage is charming in its setting, tucked away in the countryside of Ithaca, New York. Surrounded by natural water sources and greenery, with close-knit homes and abundant gardens.

The Farm, United States

Another village based in the USA and doing a tremendous job at sustainability. The Farm, founded on nonviolence, vegetarianism, and environmental stewardship, is currently home to 200 inhabitants and 20 farm-run companies. 

This ecovillage is more rustic and old-school-charming. Farming, composting, and alternative energy generation are major aspects of the community. Their members value communal labor, as farming is particularly labor-intensive. They are united by a desire to make a difference in the world by working together.

Key Takeaways
  • Ecovillages offer sustainable living communities centered on community.
  • Many ecovillages prioritize aesthetic and charming ways to adorn their land and homes.
  • Ecovillages differ in what they offer depending on their location in the world.